Diabetes is the most common cause of eye disease (diabetic retinopathy) in adults and a leading cause of blindness. In diabetes, the tiny blood vessels that perfuse the retina (the light sensing tissue in our eyes) break and bleed causing loss of vision. I see it every day in my eye care practice. If you're not diabetic, one day you might be. It's a global epidemic. Nine out of 10 people become diabetic from a sedentary lifestyle and excess weight. Divide your height by two: the result should be equal to your waist size. If your waist measurement exceeds half your height, maybe you have too much contesting and long hours of ragchewing and not enough exercise.
We've all heard doctors tell us to exercise. But exercise is boring. The trick is to exercise while you do something enjoyable and keeping active has powerful health benefits. I'm going to tell you how I get my blood sugar sweet-smack-dab in the normal range while I ragchew, reducing my risk of diabetes.
Being physically active will keep your blood sugar in the normal range that minimizes the risk of diabetes and diabetic eye disease, but what does this have to do with ham radio? I'll tell you. Better yet, you tell you: ask yourself, ”do I spend hours working digital modes, contesting, chasing DX, or ragchewing?" If you said yes -- and I'll bet most of you did -- then you're not only enjoying a great hobby, you're sitting, and inducing some degree "sedentariness". And it may kill you. Or at least contribute to diabetes mellitus and blindness. Thus, the science of sitting affects our health negatively.
Here's how I've invested in my health while I enjoy hamming. I have a treadmill near my rig and I've moved the keyer paddle so that it sits on the treadmill control panel. I can work CW and walk the treadmill at the same time. It's not a 4 mph (6.5 km/h) sweaty jog, but a slow 0.7 mph (1.1 km/h) with treadmill on an incline to increase caloric expenditure.
For digital modes, the wireless keyboards and a wireless mouse are perfect for a PSK31 contact. Or better yet, build or buy a desk to straddle the treadmill and put your rig and computer on it so as to better see the monitor. The NEWS.CNET link in the references below shows how it's done.
If you're more of a voice operator, bring your microphone over to the treadmill and use the UP/DOWN buttons on many mics to scan around the band while you walk until you find a clear spot for a CQ. But you don’t have to incur the expense of a treadmill: try a stationary bike. Your VHF/UHF hand-held transceiver is a no-brainer for use at the treadmill or a stationary bike. If you can't afford a treadmill or stationary bike, spend $12 for a pedometer and aim for 10,000 steps per day while you chat on your handheld with a walk around the neighborhood.
I've described how I marry ham radio and exercise. You may have found a better way to merge the two, but for those who have sedentariness but don't want to spend money for a treadmill or bike, end your next ragchew with "73, I going for a walk".
Dr. Dave Grubbs
Optometry
N4EF